We are glad to provide opportunities for students to develop and enhance their leadership skills. We encourage all men and women to help the community by sharing some of their skills and capabilities.
Internships have become an important aspect for future employers, our economy, but most importantly the student.
What are some benefits of having an internship?
Besides getting a foot in the door with a potential employer and looking good on a résumé, internships have other advantages:
- The opportunity to “test drive” a career (Would I be happier in marketing or advertising? Am I more comfortable working with patients or in a lab?)
- Chances to network
- Establishing relationships with mentors
- Possible college credit or certification
- An introduction to the field’s culture and etiquette (Are clients addressed by their first name? Are jeans appropriate for Casual Friday?)
- Accumulating new skills
- Gaining a “real world” perspective on an occupation (How much overtime do employees really work? How much time is spent behind a desk versus in the field?)
CRECE currently has two running programs: The Bringing Hope Project, and the Club Deportivo del Pueblo youth soccer league. In the past and present, depending on funding, the organization has had additional programs such as food drives, job fairs, English Second Language (ESL) classes, tutoring, and youth leadership seminars. However, over the years, many programs have dwindled out of existence due to lack of funding and loss of volunteers. Conversely, CRECE is working on continuing and expanding our current programs. Thus, in order to offer new opportunities at CRECE, we seek interns who have the passion and motivation to work with the community, are able to develop, and ensure program continuity.
What will be the duties and responsibilities expected from an intern?
- Help coordinate and assemble fundraising mailings
- Organize donations for programs and events
- Assist with Special event planning
- Create and distribute flyers for programs
- Scanning and digitalizing documents
- Create lesson plans for summer program
- Provide support to program staff on special projects and initiatives
- Grant researching and writing
- Keep organization event calendar up to date
- Updating organization’s website and Facebook page
- Assist with general office tasks
What are some qualifications for the position?
- Must have a passion and motivation to work with the working-class Latino community
- Be a competent user of MS Office applications (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher)
- Background in surfing the web and using Google search engine
- Be somewhat familiar with WordPress and Facebook.
How do I apply?
- Send your resume and cover letter to Central American Refugee Committee, ATTN: Internship Position, 4848 International Blvd. Oakland, CA 94601 or send it by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject headline of: Internship Position
- Or feel free to give us a call to our office at (510) 533-8140 to ask for a copy of our application